Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cupid's Chili Dog


Cupid's Chili Dog, originally uploaded by ~db~.

Cupid's Hot Dogs is another Los Angeles institution. Yet I don't remember the last time I had eaten there. But when I drove by one of their locations the other day, and hungry for lunch, I decided it was a good time to reacquaint myself.

This dog is simple. It's a frank in a bun, with optional toppings of onions, mustard, and chili. I took all three. The frank itself it probably the best hot dog I've had in a long time. Maybe a bit small, but that's not bad. It had an excellent snap and nice consistency. The chili was fine for what it was and, unsurprisingly, overpowered the flavor of the dog. But the sharpness of yellow mustard and fresh onions did cut through and offered a good contrast. The bun is very soft and had pretty much disintegrated by the time I was finished. The fries were edible, but too soft. I suspect they were only fried once since there was no bite at all. Fine, but meh.

This ain't gourmet. And it's not supposed to be. It's a good, cheap hot dog, which you get fast and eat fast. Just as it should be. Dog and fries, about $5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home